F. Muñoz, Ph.D
(415) 206-5214 (voice)
(415) 206-8942 (fax)
Box 0852, UCSF; San Francisco, CA 94143-0852
- Stanford University, Stanford, CA, AB, 1972, Psychology
University of Oregon, Eugene, OR, MA, 1975, Clinical Psychology
- University of Oregon, Eugene, OR, PhD, 1977, Clinical Psychology
| Assistant Professor to Professor, UC San Francisco, Dept of Psychiatry,
| Founding Director, Depression Clinic, San Francisco General Hospital
| Chief Psychologist, San Francisco General Hospital
| Director, UCSF Clinical Psych Training Program (clinical/research fellowship)
| Director, UCSF/SFGH Latino Mental Health Research Program
|Selected Academic Honors and Awards
|| Phi Beta Kappa; A.B. with Distinction & Departmental Honors
in Psychology (Stanford)
|| National Institute of Mental Health, Member of various Review Groups
|| Health Promotion Award, Nat'l Coalition of Hispanic Mental Health
& Human Services Organizations
|| Fellow, American Psychological Association (Divisions 27 and 45)
|| Martin Luther King, Jr. Award, University of California, San Francisco
|| Institute of Medicine, Member, Committee on Prevention of Mental Disorders |
|| Fellow, American Psychological Society
|| Lela Rowland Prevention Award, National Mental Health Association
|| Institute of Medicine, Board Member, Div. of Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
|| George Sarlo Teaching Award, Department of Psychiatry, UCSF
|| National Institute of Mental Health, Co-chair: Psychosocial Intervention Development Workgroup Breaking Ground, Breaking Through: Developing a Strategic Plan For Mood Disorders Research
| 2001- present
|| National Depressive and Manic-Depressive Association: Scientific Advisory Board
| 2003- present
|| Editorial Board, Annual Review of Clinical Psychology
|| Invited Speaker: Chile, Finland, Perú, Puerto Rico, Mexico, The Netherlands, Spain
|| Intervention manuals have been adopted widely, and translated to: Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Dutch, German, Norwegian, and Finnish
- Muñoz RF, Snowden LR, Kelly, JG, et al. (1979). Social
and psychological research in community settings: Designing and
conducting programs for social and personal well-being. SF: Jossey-Bass.
- Muñoz RF (Ed., 1987). Depression prevention: Research
directions. Washington, DC: Hemisphere.
- Lewinsohn PM, Muñoz RF, Youngren MA & Zeiss A (1992).
Control Your Depression. NY: Fireside Books.
- Muñoz RF & Ying YW (1993). The Prevention of Depression.
Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Miller WR & Muñoz RF (2005). Controlling Your Drinking.
- Muñoz RF (1993). The prevention of depression: Current
research and practice. Applied & Preventive Psychology, 2,
- Hall SM, Muñoz RF & Reus VI (1994). Cognitive-behavioral intervention increases abstinence rates for depressive-history smokers. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 62(1), 141-146.
- Muñoz RF, Hollon SD, McGrath E, Rehm LP & VandenBos
GR (1994). On the AHCPR Depression in Primary Care Guidelines:
Further considerations for practitioners. American Psychologist,
- Muñoz RF, Ying YW, Bernal G, Perez-Stable EJ, Sorensen
JL, Hargreaves WA, Miranda J & Miller LS (1995). Prevention
of depression with primary care patients: A randomized controlled
trial. American Journal of Community Psychology, 23(2), 199-222.
- Miranda J, Azocar F, Organista KC, Muñoz RF & Lieberman
AF (1996). Recruiting and retaining low-income Latinos in psychotherapy research. J Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 64(5), 868-874.
- Muñoz RF, Mrazek PJ & Haggerty RJ (1996). Institute
of Medicine Report on Prevention of Mental Disorders: Summary
and commentary. American Psychologist, 51, 1116-1122.
- Muñoz RF, Van-Oss Marin, B, Posner SF & Perez-Stable
EJ (1997). Mood management mail intervention increases abstinence rates for Spanish-speaking Latino smokers. Am J Community Psychology,25(3),325-43.
- Muñoz RF, McQuaid JR, González G, Dimas J &
Rosales V (1999). Depression screening in a women's clinic:
Using automated Spanish- and English-language voice recognition.
J of Consulting & Clinical Psychology, 67(4), 502-10.
- Tsoh JY, Humfleet GL, Muñoz RF, Reus VI, Hartz DT &
Hall SM (2000). Development of major depression after treatment for smoking cessation. American Journal of Psychiatry, 157, 368-74.
- Muñoz RF, Le HN & Ghosh Ippen C (2000). We should
screen for major depression. Applied and Preventive Psychology,
- Hall SM, Humfleet GL, Reus VI, Muñoz RF, Hartz D, &
Maude-Griffin R (2002). Psychological intervention and antidepressant treatment in smoking cessation. Archives of General Psychiatry,
- Hollon, S. D., Muñoz, R. F., Barlow, D. H., Beardslee,
W., Bell, C. C., Bernal, G., Clarke, G. N., Franciosi, L. P.,
Kazdin, A. E., Kohn, L., Linehan, M. M., Markowitz, J. C., Miklowitz,
D. J., Persons, J. B., Niederehe, G., & Sommers, D. (2002). Psychosocial Intervention Development for the Prevention and Treatment of Depression: Promoting Innovation and Increasing Access.
Biological Psychiatry, 52, 610-630.
- Muñoz, R. F., Le, H. N., Clarke, G., & Jaycox, L.
(2002). Preventing the onset of major depression. In I. H. Gotlib
& C. L. Hammen (Eds.). Handbook of Depression (pp. 343-359).
New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- Le, H. N., Muñoz, R. F., Ghosh Ippen, C., & Stoddard,
J. (2003, September 15). Treatment is not enough: We must prevent
major depression in women. Prevention & Treatment, 6, Article
10. Retrieved October 16, 2003.
- Lenert, L., Muñoz, R. F. , Stoddard, J. L., Delucchi,
K., Bansod, A., Skoczen, S., & P.rez-Stable, E. J. (2003).
Design and pilot evaluation of an Internet smoking cessation program.
Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 10(1),
- Haas AL, Muñoz RF, Humfleet GL, Reus VI, Hall SM (2004). Influences of mood, depression history, and treatment modality on outcomes in smoking cessation. J Consult Clin Psychol.; 72(4):563-70.
- Le HN, Muñoz RF, Soto J, Delucchi K, & Ghosh Ippen C (2004). Identification of risk for onset of major depressive episodes during pregnancy and postpartum. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 26(4), 463-482.
- Urizar GG Jr, Milazzo M, Le HN, Delucchi K, Sotelo R, Muñoz RF (2004). Impact of stress reduction instructions on stress and cortisol levels during pregnancy. Biol Psychol.; 67(3):275-82.
- Lenert L, Muñoz RF, Perez JE, Bansod A (2004). Automated e-mail messaging as a tool for improving quit rates in an internet smoking cessation intervention. J Am Med Inform Assoc.; 11(4):235-40. Epub 2004 Apr 2.
- Hall SM, Humfleet GL, Reus VI, Muñoz RF, Cullen J (2004). Extended nortriptyline and psychological treatment for cigarette smoking. Am J Psychiatry; 161(11):2100-7.
- Stoddard J, Delucchi K, Muñoz R, Collins N, Stable EP, Augustson E, Lenert L (2005). Smoking cessation research via the internet: a feasibility study. J Health Commun.; 10(1):27-41.
- Muñoz RF (2005). La depresión y la salud de nuestros pueblos. [Depression and the health of our communities]. Salud Mental, 28(4), 1-9.
- Muñoz RF and Mendelson T (2005). "Toward evidence-based interventions for diverse populations: The San Francisco General Hospital prevention and treatment manuals". Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 73, 790-799.
- Muñoz RF, Lenert LL, Delucchi K, Stoddard J, Pérez JE, Penilla C, Pérez-Stable EJ (2006). Toward evidence-based Internet interventions: A Spanish/English Web site for international smoking cessation trials. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 8. 77-87.
- Muñoz RF, Le HN, Ghosh Ippen C, Diaz MA, Urizar GG, Soto J, Mendelson T, Delucchi K, Lieberman AF (in press). Prevention of postpartum depression in low-income women: Development of the Mamás y Bebés/Mothers and Babies Course. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice.
- "Reaching out from the barrio" (APA Monitor on Psychology, February 2002)
- "Psychology lessons that transcend generations" (Stanford Magazine, July/August 2005)